When you hear the word minimalism, you might think of spartan living conditions and an ascetic lifestyle.
But living a minimalist lifestyle doesn’t have to mean giving up all your worldly possessions and living in a yurt.
Instead, a minimalist lifestyle can be very luxurious.
Luxury minimalism is a popular lifestyle choice for those who want to live with less but still enjoy the finer things in life.
So, how do you create a luxury minimalist lifestyle?
By being selective about the things you own and choosing high-quality items that will last, you can have the best of both worlds.
This page contains affiliate links, meaning we may receive payment for purchases made through the links below. Please visit our disclosure page for more info.
What is the Minimalist Lifestyle?
A minimalist lifestyle is one where you own fewer possessions.
The idea is to reduce clutter and live with only what you need or truly enjoy.
This doesn’t mean that you have to live in a tiny home, have empty walls and rooms, or get rid of all your personal belongings.
But it does mean being more selective about what you bring into your life. The goal is to live with less stuff to focus on the things that are most important to you.
“Don’t feel pressured to pursue minimalism in any particular way. You don’t have to suddenly don neutral tones or have a home barely furnished. You can pursue minimalism in full color with a cozy living space or whatever your vibe is.”Danae Smith, on xoNecole.com
Why Choose a Minimalist Lifestyle?
There are many reasons why people choose to live a minimalist lifestyle. For some, it’s about decluttering their life and getting rid of unnecessary possessions.
For others, it’s about simplifying their life, so they have more balance and freedom.
Some people choose a minimalist lifestyle because they want to live more sustainably or save money.
Whatever the reason, choosing to live with less can be very liberating.
Luxury minimalists focus on quality over quantity. It’s about owning fewer things but making sure that the things you do own are of the highest quality.
It’s about investing in timeless pieces that will last a lifetime, including everything from clothing to furniture to home decor.
For some, it’s also about choosing experiences over material possessions.
Rather than surrounding themselves with great things, luxury minimalists prefer to spend their money on travel, dining out, and other experiences that enrich their lives.
Luxury minimalism is a great way to live with less and still enjoy the finer things in life.
“Minimalism is less about the unofficial rules we often encounter in mainstream media, of trying to make our homes more hygge or challenging ourselves to live with one fork, one knife, and one spoon. Rather, it is more about choosing authenticity over aesthetics, of learning to live more simply on our own terms.”Christine Platt, on Food52.com
Tips for Getting Started with
If you’re interested in trying luxury minimalism, here are a few tips to get you started:
- Dream about the life you want to build: What kind of lifestyle do you want to create? What are your priorities? What things will make your life easier, help you focus better, or bring you some happiness?
- Decide what’s essential: Look through your home and determine what’s genuinely necessary for you. Make a list of the things you can’t live without and remove everything else.
- Reduce your possessions: You don’t have to get rid of everything you don’t need or no longer want overnight-or even in a month. Start with decluttering your home room by room and pull out what you don’t need from each. Sell or donate anything that doesn’t bring you joy or serve a purpose. This includes clothes, shoes, small appliances, electronics, accessories, and home decor.
- Practice gratitude and generosity: being thankful for what you do have and generously donating what you no longer want can positively affect your health, happiness, and overall wellbeing.
- Invest in quality items: when you buy something, make sure it’s something that will last. Choose timeless pieces that you can use for years to come. Consider instituting a one in/one out rule to avoid filling your space again.
- Turn to experiences: rather than buying things, focus on creating memorable moments, fun-filled adventures, and attending events that enrich your life.
“Being a black minimalist to me means unplugging from what society says we should be and do. In the black community, I feel as though consumerism and capitalism runs RAMPANT. We are force fed all of these ideas that make us believe that our worth lies in what clothes are on our back, what bags are on our arms, what watches are on our wrists, what cars we drive, basically what we spend our money on…Black minimalism is not just about the things we own, it is a sustainable lifestyle that can last for generations.”J Chavae, on Blackminimalists.net
Living a luxury minimalist lifestyle doesn’t have to be expensive or tedious. Instead, it can be more rewarding, less stressful, help you save money in the long run, and express your individuality.
Focus on purchasing quality items or experiences because they bring joy or meaning to your life, rather than just something to have or do.
If you’re interested in trying luxury minimalism, follow these tips. You may be surprised at how liberating it is to live with less!
Have any advice for living a luxury minimalist lifestyle? Share your ideas in the comments below!